Presidential election voting began in Georgia on Sunday. According to the CEC, the number of voters able to vote in the Georgian election was 3,537,719 million. Around 3655 polling stations and 34 additional special constituencies were opened in the country. Around 50 polling stations were operated outside of Georgia. Around 48,458 Georgian citizens living or staying abroad on official affairs were be able to vote there.
Around 23 contenders were officially registered as presidential candidates. Among them are the representative of the ‘Georgian Dream’ ruling coalition Giorgi Margvelashvili, former Speaker Nino Burjanadze, candidate from the ‘United National Movement’ former ruling party David Bakradze and others.
The voter turnout in the Georgian presidential election amounted to 32 per cent for 15:00 (local time), spokesperson of the Georgian Central Election Commission (CEC), Eka Azarashvili said at a briefing.
According to the CEC some 1,133,753 voters have participated in the election by this time.
The candidate of the ruling ‘Georgian Dream’ coalition, Giorgi Margvelashvili leads in the Georgian presidential election, GfK company’s exit poll said.
Data of the exit poll, ordered by Rustavi-2 broadcasting company was announced by the Vice-President of the German GfK company, Vadim Volos.
According to him, 80 per cent of votes have been counted as of 18:00, and Giorgi Margvelashvili holds the first place with 66.7 per cent of votes. Based on this, the second round of the election is not required.
The second place is held by the candidate of the pro-presidential ‘United National Movement’ party David Bakradze with a result of 20.2 per cent.
He is followed by Nino Burjanadze – 7.5 per cent, Shalva Natelashvili – 2.1 per cent, Giorgi Targamadze – 1.1 per cent.
Other 18 candidates gained up to 1 per cent of the votes.
- Georgia votes for new president at poll (nzweek.com)
- Voter turnout in Georgian presidential election amount to 6.8 per cent for 10.00am (en.trend.az)
- Georgia PM ally ‘wins presidency’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Voter turnout in Georgian presidential election amounts to 17.15 per cent for 12.00am (en.trend.az)
- Voter turnout in Georgian presidential election amounts to 32 per cent for 15:00 (en.trend.az)
- Liveblog: Georgia Votes For President (rferl.org)
- Georgia votes for president to succeed Saakashvili (bigstory.ap.org)