According to Canadian news site The Province, Disney spokesperson Barb Matheson said “A decision was made to refocus operations and resources under the one roof, Staff were just told today. Not great news, obviously.” That one facility is Pixar’s HQ in Emeryville, Calif.
Disney was drawn to Vancouver by tax incentives, and this closure comes in the wake of British Columbia reducing those incentives, it is possible the Mouse House might look at Ontario or Quebec as new locations for a Canada branch. But a Pixar spokesman declined to comment on that possibility and released the following statement: “The team at Pixar Canada is incredibly talented and we are so proud of the excellent work we have produced there. However, as we look at the creative and business needs of our studio, we’ve made the decision to refocus our efforts and resources under one roof in Emeryville and will be closing the studio in Vancouver.
Pixar Canada has produced several shorts for the studio, including “Air Mater,” “Small Fry” and “Partysaurus Rex” (see above and below), since 2010. Pixar’s shorts have been a proving ground for new directors and concepts for the studio. Operations there will cease immediately.
- Disney Shuts Down Pixar Canada; Nearly 100 Jobs Lost (m.deadline.com)
- Pixar Canada Closed In Surprise Move, Disney Lays Off 100 Employees (variety.com)
- Disney Pixar closes Canada studio (bbc.co.uk)
- Pixar Canada shuts its doors in Vancouver (blogs.theprovince.com)
- Disney to Close Pixar Canada (thewrap.com)
- Disney Shuts Down Pixar Canada; Nearly 100 Jobs Lost (deadline.com)
- Pixar closes its Vancouver studio (globalnews.ca)
- Pixar Canada Shut Down Today (pixartimes.com)